Skip to main content

Be The "Yes!" Man

Remember that time you looked back over your life and wondered, "what if?". Remember when you tried to picture how your life could have been if you'd made a different choice? I have lots of those times...not necessarily in regret but in pure wonderment. I try to imagine what type of person I'd be, what kind of job I'd have, and what my life would be like in general if I had chosen differently at crucial times in my life. I am in all ways grateful for what I did choose but I still can't help but think about it (let me clarify here by saying I have made bad choices in life, I just don't feel regret over my big decisions). However, I do know plenty of people who have regrets...who wish they'd chosen differently. For these people, this post might be beneficial to read.

Last Sunday, our church did something special and different. In celebration of our brothers in Christ (Church of the Nazarene), we showed up for their 75th anniversary to surprise them and support them. It was so fun to bring all the people from our church and join together as one to praise the same God together. No, we are not the same denomination BUT we do believe in the same God and we do still love each other despite small differences. This post's summary comes from Pastor Curt's sermon from the Church of the Nazarene. I was pleased to see how closely related his message was to the way our church thinks.

Pastor Curt raised three main points:
1) There are BIG moments to choose. (Joshua 24:15)
2) There are daily moments to choose. (Mark 8:34-38)
3) There are difficult moments to choose. (John 6:60-69)

1) These BIG moments in the past cannot be rewritten but we CAN shape our future by seeking God's opinion and guidance in these BIG moments that inevitably occur. Find peace through God in the decisions you have made and use that peace as you move forward. Don't rely on your own understanding or opinion, but rely on God and the Holy Spirit within you.

2) The small daily choices matter too. Each short day adds up to your entire life. Consider each day as a planted seed and your life the fruit.

3) Remember to trust God in ALL your moments, good and bad, especially when you don't understand. You may not understand what you're going through right now, but God does. He can see the end goal and he is cheering you on as you make your way down the field. Don't stop halfway! Push on and seek God. Lean on HIS understanding. It's not OUR will, but HIS will be done.

Say, "yes!!!" to the plan of God in your life.


Comments

  1. So, true in so many ways! Thanks for your wonderful words Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it spoke to you, Lexie! It's always nice to know when my words reach someone. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...