Skip to main content

Waiting on God | Being Patient with His Plan

When Jarrod and I were dating for a little over a year, I was growing frustrated that he wasn't hinting at a proposal. When I confronted him on it, he acted like it might be something in the future to consider but nothing to jump into. I was furious! I was thinking that we were on the same page...that we both couldn't wait to get married and he was telling me that he might consider it. It turned out that he was fibbing because he already bought a ring and planned on proposing that weekend. I was ruining my own surprise without even knowing it because of my impatience. Luckily, I was so blinded by disappointment that I never even heard him tell me he was about to propose. 

(Watch here) or here:

I do this a lot...grow impatient and jump the gun when God already has a plan in place for me. I think a lot of us do that. We get so blinded by what we want, what we don't have and how long we've been waiting that we can't even see the clues that God lays out for us.

In the Old Testament, Abraham and Sarah are promised a son but they had to wait a very long time. During the wait, they got discouraged and produced a son through his second wife, Hagar. He got a son, but not the promised son. His promised son, Isaac came not long after that. This was the son that continued the bloodline to Jesus. The son that God had in mind and the son that would rightfully inherit Abraham's mantle. His first son was a product of humans trying to make something happen; his second son was the promised miracle that God had planned all along. 

If he would have just waited for what was already promised, there wouldn't have been any added drama surrounding his wives, the birth order of their sons or the inheritance involved. I think we do this...we create extra drama and unnecessary heart ache when we try to make things happen in our own will. With patience, steadfastness and faith, we can peacefully watch God's plan unfold. Constant communication with Him keeps us on track with the plan He has. When we get discouraged or forgetful, we should check back in and ask for a reminder. 

These conversations might be centered around finding a spouse, having kids someday, a job promotion, a job opening, retirement, financial security or anything else that is unsure in your future. If you haven't had a conversation with God about your future, I want to encourage you to do so. Get on His page and see what He has planned for you. He may not give you a detailed agenda, but He will definitely give you some direction. Pray to ask Him what He wants and follow through with His plan to see His promises come true. It'll worth it the wait, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...