Skip to main content

Believing the Lie

If you were at church a couple Sundays ago, this story about an anonymous person might sound a little familiar...but I'm going to tell it from my perspective...because it happened to me.

I always go outside and pet the kittens. We have 6 baby kittens and 1 older kitten. I was sitting on the porch doing my usual thing, just thinking about life and enjoying God's creations and I started to see flashing lights. I thought, oh no! I hope I'm not getting a migraine! (I used to get migraines in junior high and that's how they started). I blinked and blinked and took deep breaths but it didn't stop so I went inside. I went to the restroom and prayed against the migraine and for healing over my body and head. It got worse.

I then went to the medicine cabinet and started to look for anything for headaches. When I grabbed the bottle and tried to read it, I couldn't see anything. It was like I was going blind (or at least, what I think going blind would be like). Along with the flashing lights, came blurriness and I started to panic a little.

Jarrod asked me what I was doing (since I almost NEVER take meds for a headache) and I told him I thought I was getting a migraine but now I can't see at all. He told me to go lie down on the sofa and he'd be there in a minute. He stayed in the kitchen for a little bit, making grilled cheese, and then came in to soothe me and ask me what was going on. He prayed for healing but it continued to get worse. Jarrod is pretty persistent so not being healed wasn't going to stop him -he will keep praying until he sees results (I love his determination). He was sitting beside me - I was laid out on the sofa and he sat on the floor - and at this point I couldn't see him at all.

Jarrod asked me when the flashing lights started and asked me to pray about the origin of it. I thought back and remembered it was when I was petting the kitties and I asked God to reveal to my mind what I was thinking about. He revealed to me that I had told myself a lie and that I had believed it - and wanted to (to make things easier in my mind). I told Jarrod what I had heard and he said, "ok - you know what to do next." So I renounced the lie that I had believed and prayed for "eyes to see the truth" (I felt like God was telling me to say those words) and prayed God's truth over my life.

As soon as I prayed for "eyes to see the truth" my vision cleared, the flashing lights stopped, and my headache subsided.

This whole experience was new for me and it seems kind of surreal. One little lie planted in my mind blinded my vision.

Bill Johnson said in one of his sermons that "believing the lie empowers the liar." I believed a lie that Satan planted in my mind and I empowered him by believing it. By renouncing that lie, I was renouncing Satan's power over me and speaking God's truth empowered him to heal my eyes.

Don't give Satan permission to rule your mind and body. Don't believe the lies he plants in your mind! Our Heavenly Father WANTS us to choose him and wants us to give him the power to heal our minds, hearts, and bodies.

You'll know when you've believed a lie because the root of it is evil and therefore creates feelings of worry, self loathing, fear, etc. (see "No Fear!"). Renounce those lies and get back on God's team! He is jealous for you and loves you deeply. It is so comforting to know that he is always waiting for us with open arms. Run to him!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...