Skip to main content

A "Yes, Lord!" Life | Saying "Yes" to God

Driving down I-20, I couldn't help but notice how frustrated I was as I timed how long it took me to drive to my new job. I *get the privilege* of spending two days a week in a town 45 minutes from my home and all I felt was dread on the drive over there. Why would I feel dread when God led me here, gave me this opportunity and told me to find joy in the process? Because my heart wasn't on the same page as my mouth. 
The car is parked
during the making
of this picture.

When God gave me this opportunity, it came with the stipulation that I would have to commute twice a week. He asked me if I would be willing to do that and I said with my thoughts, "yes, Lord!" while my heart was saying, "I don't like this!" **insert stomping foot and pouting lip**

God set up this perfect job  that I would thoroughly enjoy, not take up too much of my time in the ministry and allow me to reach more people. I took one small aspect that I didn't like about my new job (commuting) and let it overshadow all the good God had set up for me. I let one negative thing overtake all the positive things I like about my job. After about two weeks of a bad attitude, I realized my heart was confused. I needed to quickly align my heart with my words and enjoy the opportunity God gave me.

The thing about being a "yes, Lord!" person is that when God asks something of us, we are quick to obey and often times also quick to find fault with God's plan. We think of ways it could be better or more enjoyable instead of thanking God for what He's about to do through our "yes." Instead of being disgruntled about what we don't like, let's ask how that part can be more enjoyable. Let's ask Him to remind us of all the good things in His plan and to show us a glimpse of where He's taking us. Let's make our "yes" be a true "YES!" by not putting disclaimers on the end of it. Stop inserting "but..." or "if only..." and start inserting "thank you! You are so good!" 

When I aligned my heart, God reminded me that I can play my audio books in my car. I started listening to my novels on the way to work and totally forgetting how long it took me to get there. I suddenly went from counting every minute of the commute and complaining every second to getting lost in a story and looking forward to hearing more on my way home. I can now focus on how much I enjoy my students, making new friends, and exploring my new workplace. My "yes" is a true yes now and I'll drive here as long as He wants me to. I'm so thankful for the path He put me on and the doors He's opened for me. I love being a "yes, Lord" person! I think you will like it too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...